Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) have been growing rapidly in size and impact. Yet the language barrier constitutes a major growth impediment in reaching out all people and educating all citizens. TraMOOC aims at tackling this impediment by developing high-quality translation of all types of text genre included in MOOCs (e.g. assignments, tests, presentations, lecture subtitles, blog text) from English into eleven European and BRIC languages (DE, IT, PT, EL, NL, CS, BG, HR, PL, RU, ZH), which constitute strong use cases, are hard to translate into and have weak MT support.
The main objective of the project is to create a translation service for the educational material of MOOCs. To achieve this goal, the project will pursue the following challenging scientific and technological objectives:
- The generation of high-quality machine translations, even though the targeted languages include weakly supported languages as well as languages that have been proven hard to translate into in previous MT solutions.
- The establishment of a new, appropriate, standardized, multi-level evaluation schema for determining the value of the produced translations
- The automatic bootstrapping of new resources for languages that are fragmentarily or weakly equipped with infrastructure
- The development of a machine translation process which will be language-independent
The targeted audience
TraMOOC intends to address the needs of:
- European and world citizens, who want access to open online education that is not constrained by language barriers.
- MOOC providers, who wish to offer high-quality, integrated multilingual educational services.
- Machine Translation developers, who need a platform for promoting, testing and comparing their solutions.
- Language Technology Engineers, who want access to accurate and wide-coverage linguistic infrastructure, even for less widely spoken languages.